Tuesday, February 15, 2011

All Nighter



I don't think that I have done an all-nighter since I was in college with the exception of last night. And of course I am much older now and these all-nighters are truly for the birds.
As stated in a previous post, Abby has not been feeling well lately. Her ketones, which is associated with her diabetes have been running a little high. I had been in touch with the nurses in the Phoenix Children's Endocrinologist office and they had advised me of signs to look for and what would constitute a trip to the ER.
Last night after Abby had gone to bed for a few hours she woke up to vomitting all over the place. Andrew and I quickly flew out of bed to see what was going on and to help her. I called the endocrinologist's office and spoke with the doc who advised we take her in to have her looked at and to do some blood work to rule out she wasn't in DKA.
At midnight we packed up our little girl and headed off to the hospital. It was packed full of sick kids, but I guess a toddler with diabetes takes precedence over the others as we were immediately triaged and given a room. They were able to do some blood work and rule out the DKA(thank goodness). We were then pretty sure she had caught a bug somewhere and after her being able to drink some fluids, we were able to go home. At 7 am!
Abby was pretty worn out most of the day, but started to perk up at the visit to the pediatrician this afternoon. We have had no vomitting sinch last night at the ER and she has been able to hold down her dinner so far.
These last few weeks with her being sick have been really difficult. All I wish for is a healthy baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment