Wednesday, November 03, 2010

A Lot has happened since last post
















Wow. I guess it's been a while since my last post. I'll try not to let that happen again. Where to start...
Abby was diagnosed with Type I Diabetes Sept 29th, 2010. It has been a little over a month now and we are trying to manage this horrific disease that strikes kids for no apparent reason.
She had been acting kinda crabby for a few weeks prior to diagnosis and was constantly asking for more water, juice or milk. In addition to that potty training had become nearly impossible as she was soaking a ton of diapers and peeing her bed. After a few weeks of wondering if this was just a 2 phase or if something was really wrong, I took her to the pediatrician. Fortunately, I went with a urine sample that they tested and it was off the charts. They then did a finger stnk and couldn't actually get a number on the meter. All it said was high. So my Dr. told me to take her to Phoenix Children's so they could run some more exensive blood tests and that she could be wrong but that more than likely Abigail had diabetes. I even had a dentist appointment later that day for Abby and my doctor told me that I would probably want to cancel that. So off I go to Phoenix Children's with paperwork in hand and I'm frantically trying to call my husband. I get a hold of my mom and tell her what's happenening and then get a hold of my husband and tell him I'm on my way to Phoenix Children's. He leaves work and before I know it his sisters Tina and Becky, and brothers Joe and Pete all arrive in the ER. We were very fortunate to have them with us.
Turns out we have caught Abigail's diagnosis very early as it could have gotten much worse. She could have been in DKA which is diabetic ketoacidosis. With how high her blood sugar was she should have been lethargic and pretty much comatose. Fortunately, she was not.
So we spent almost 4 days in the hospital learning all about type I and insulin shots and checking blood sugars and ketones. A lot to absorb in the time we were there. I slept in a hospital bed with my baby every night and when she went to sleep I would just cry.
She is such a trooper through all of this. In the beginning she would pull away and not want to be poked, but now when we get ready to test her sugar she says, "Let me see your finger!" And she will even count 1,2,3 when it's time to do the injection. Kids are so resilient. It's me that isn't so much.
I hate that we will have to do this for the rest of her life. I hate that she will have to go through this and not be a "normal" child. I hate this so much, it's tearing me apart.
On a good note though, she will grow up with this and it will be second nature for her. She won't know any different and she will learn how to take care of herself and be responsible. I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment